As one of Victoria’s oldest conservation organisations, the Natural Resources Conservation League has a long history of effective action across the state.
The Natural Resources Conservation Trust was established as the grant making arm of the Natural Conservation League. The League and Trust work closely together, guided by separate Boards.
Where it began: Save the Forests Campaign
How it progressed: Natural Resources Conservation League
The Save the Forests Campaign expanded in purpose to help revegetate Victoria and became incorporated as a non-profit member based organisation named the Natural Resources Conservation League in 1951.
The League also established plant nurseries across Victoria with stock sold and delivered to local councils, farmers, schools and members.
In 1986, the League established Cyril Isaac Avenue of Honour at Cranbourne. Cyril Isaac was instrumental in starting the Save The Forests campaign and played a leading role in the formation of the League.
The league as…
A conservation thought leader
As well as one the ground initiatives, the League conducted regional forums and educational activities on Natural Resource Management issues. For those interested in the industry, the League produced an informative magazine for over 50 years, firstly titled ‘Victoria’s Resources then ‘Conservation News’ followed by ‘Trees and Natural Resources’.
The League advocating for our natural world
Many of the conservation outcomes achieved last century were aided by the League’s lobbying role. These outcomes include the protection of the Little Desert; creation of the Land Conservation Council (now VEAC); supporting the creation of Landcare; and increasing funding and promotion of environmental education.